Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Nursing Home

This week we went with the MOMS Club to visit a nursing home. It had been an idea that the MOMS Club has wanted to do for a long time, so I put it into action! The kids dressed in their Halloween costumes, we sang Halloween songs, and then passed out handmade cards that everyone had made at home for the residents. It was so sweet! One of the moms told me that she saw one of the women with tears in her eyes...I know we made a difference and put a smile on their faces!
My grandmother lived in a type of nursing home for many years and I remember all the children and adults that would visit them. She always had something cute hanging in her room that they had given her and a smile that told us someone had been there! This October 31st will be the 1 year anniversary of her death and I especially wanted to do this in remembrance of her :)
Ana Maria was very shy handing the cards she made to the residents. I think the wheelchairs intimidated her as well as there just being elderly people there. I hope to do more service projects like this with her to show her how special elderly people are and how important it is to show love to them in homes like this where sometimes they are forgotten about.
I'll let you know when we do it again soon!!







2 comments:

Carolina Girl said...

You're awesome for finally putting this together. I know the residents thoroughly enjoyed it!

Nancy said...

What a special time for all. Grandmom would have loved it.